Absentee Voting


Cassandra C. Johnson
Absentee Election Office
801 Forrest Ave Suite 202
Gadsden, AL 35901
(256) 549-5355



Absentee Voting for the Primary Statewide Election begins June 13, 2018.

The last day to submit application to receive an absentee ballot is 5 days before the election except in case of business or medical emergency (see further instructions). Completed applications must be personally hand-delivered by applicant or sent through the U.S. Mail, one per envelope.

Crossover Voting - Implementation of Act 2017-340

We want to thank you for taking the time to make your vote count for this upcoming election. Any qualified voter may vote an absentee ballot by mail or in person at the Etowah County Circuit Clerk’s Office-Absentee Elections Division if you are registered to vote in Etowah County and meet one of the requirements listed on the Application for Absentee Ballot. Pursuant to Title 17-11-3, Code of Alabama, Applications for absentee ballots must be received in the office of the Absentee Election Manager/Circuit Clerk, not less than five (5) days prior to the Election. The deadline to apply is Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 5:00 p.m..

After completing and signing your application, the voter may hand deliver his/her application to the Absentee Election Manager/Circuit Clerk or forward it by U.S. Mail. No one is permitted to bring in an application for another voter (the only exception is for a Medical Emergency). The Absentee Election Manger/Circuit Clerk can only accept one application per envelope that is received by U.S. Mail. Your application must provide the Alabama residence address where the voter is registered to vote, even if the ballot is to be mailed to another address.

Please include a copy of your photo identification when returning your ballot by U.S. Mail, the deadline to hand deliver your ballot to the Absentee Election Manager/Circuit Clerk is no later than Monday, July 16th, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. If the ballot is returned by U.S. mail, it must be postmarked no later than one day prior to the election and received in the mail no later than noon, July 17, 2018 (Election Day).

Business Emergency ballots must be voted in the Absentee office in person. Last day to apply and vote for a Business Emergency Ballot is Monday, July 16th, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. An affidavit is required to be signed by the voter stating that you were not aware of your business emergency until after the July 12th, 2018 deadline.

Medical Emergency ballots are available, any registered voter who requires emergency treatment of a licensed physician within five days of an election may apply for an emergency absentee ballot and have the (voter’s designee) return the absentee ballot to the Absentee Election Manager by no later than noon of Election Day. If the ballot is returned by U.S. mail, it must be postmarked no later than one day prior to the election and be received no later than noon on Election Day. The attending physician shall describe and certify the circumstances as constituting an emergency on a special form provided and shall be attached to the application.

If you are a member of, or a spouse or dependent of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States or a U.S. citizen residing overseas and qualify to vote by absentee ballot pursuant to the Uniformed and Overseas citizens Absentee Voting Act, 42 U.S.C. 1973ff, you may apply for a UOCAVA Application for Absentee Ballot. Two options are available on how you may receive your absentee ballot (Electronic transmission or U.S. mail). Please mark the appropriate box on the application form. For more information on Military and Overseas Voters, please visit www.alabamavotes.gov or www.fvap.gov.

When you receive your Absentee ballot by mail, it is very important that you follow the instructions carefully and return your Absentee ballot to the Absentee Election Manager/Circuit Clerk as soon as possible. If you have any questions concerning absentee voting, you may contact Cassandra Johnson, Absentee Election Manger/Circuit Clerk at (256) 549-5355 or you may visit www.alabamavotes.gov.

If you have experienced a recent name or address change and have not updated your voter information with the Board of Registrars office, please update your voter information before mailing your application to the Absentee Election Manager. If you do not know your voting precinct, you may contact the Board of Registrars office at (256) 549-5384. The deadline to register to vote or update your voter information is Monday, July 2nd, 2018. You may also register to vote online at www.alabamavotes.gov.

*An absentee ballot cannot be counted unless the affidavit is signed by the voter, notarized OR has the signatures of two witnesses.

*Please mail your Application or Absentee ballot to the following address:

*Cassandra Johnson, Absentee Election Manager/Circuit Clerk
801 Forrest Avenue Suite 202
Gadsden, AL 35901

If you desire to vote absentee in person or require assistance, please visit the Etowah Co. Circuit Clerk’s Office, Absentee Elections Division located in the Etowah County Judicial Building at the above listed address, business hours are from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm (except for holidays).


Cassandra Johnson
Absentee Elections Manager/Circuit Clerk

When does absentee voting start?

The Probate Judge is required by law to provide ballots and supplies to the Absentee Election Manager 55 days before an election. Applications are now being accepted for absentee ballots for the Primary Election deadline.

Back to Top

What are the qualifications for obtaining an absentee ballot?

There is no provision in Alabama law for early voting. You may vote absentee if you meet one of the following criteria and can make sworn affidavit as to one of the reasons stated below:


  • The voter will be out of the county or state on Election Day.
  • The voter is physically incapacitated and will not be able to vote in person on Election Day.
  • The voter works a shift which has at least (10) hours that coincide with the polling hours at their regular polling place.
  • The voter is a student at and educational institution located outside the county of their permanent residence; and are, therefore, unable to vote at their usual polling place on Election Day.
  • The voter is a member of, or the spouse of a member of, the armed forces of the United States or are otherwise entitled to vote by absentee pursuant the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act, 42, U.S.C. 1973ff.
  • The voter has been appointed as an election officer at a polling place which is not their regular polling place.

Back to Top

How do I apply for an absentee ballot?

You can call the Absentee Election Office at (256)549-5355 or come by and pick up an application at the office of the Etowah County Circuit Clerk at the Etowah County Judicial Building, located downtown Gadsden. The Address is 801 Forrest Ave. Suite 202 Gadsden, AL 35901 You can also download the form available in the AlabamaVotes.gov or http://www.sos.state.al.us/Elections/AbsenteeVotingInfo.aspx. PLEASE READ INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU FILL OUT AND MAIL IN YOUR APPLICATION.

Back to Top

Where do I mail the application?

The application must be mailed to: Cassandra Johnson, Absentee Election Manager, 801 Forrest Ave. Suite 202 Gadsden, AL 35901. By law (AG Opinion 82-551), each application must be mailed in a separate envelope. Multiple applications (even for husband and wife) which are mailed in the same envelope will be returned to the voter. Applications cannot be faxed to the Absentee Election Manager. For voter applications and absentee applications visit: AlabamaVotes.gov.

Back to Top

Can I vote absentee in person?

Yes, you can come by the Absentee Election Manager's office Monday through Friday 8:00AM - 5:00PM (except on holidays) and complete an application and vote while you are in the office. The cut-off date is Thursday (five days before an election). The address is 801 Forrest Ave. Suite 202 Gadsden, AL 35901.

Back to Top

If I am voting absentee by mail, when do I send in the copy of my ID?

After you complete an application, you will receive your ballot and supplies. Unless you qualify for exemption, you will need to send a copy of your ID at that time. Please read your instructions carefully as to how it is to be returned. Do not seal up your ID in either one of the white envelopes. Your ID should be placed inside the brown return envelope.

Back to Top

How do I find out where my voting precinct is?

You can call the Lee County Board of Registrars at (256) 549-5342 for information on your voting precinct.

Back to Top

Does my absentee ballot have to be witnessed or notarized?

Yes, by law, your ballot must either be notarized OR witnessed by two people 18 years of age or older. These may be other family members. If your ballot has not been notarized or witnessed by 2 people, it will not be counted.

Back to Top

I have a relative serving in the military, how can they vote absentee?

Any military personnel can contact the military voting assistance officer and request Standard Form 76-A which is a Federal Post Card Absentee Ballot Request. It is postage pre-paid. These applications are good for all elections in the same calendar year, so once this application is received, the applicant will automatically be mailed or emailed (if that is the selected method of receipt) a ballot for upcoming elections they are eligible to vote in. For more information, go to fvap.gov. You can also download an Absentee Ballot Application from this website. The Absentee Election Manager should be notified if there is a change of address of military voter between elections.

Back to Top